Last updated on: March 6, 2017
Do you feel that your penis is too short or thin, especially compared to other guys? Do you wish you had bigger erections?
If so, like many men you may be wondering how to make your penis bigger, and probably as quickly and easily as possible.
Even though there’s a wide range of techniques, pills and devices for increasing penis size, at the moment there isn’t a clear method which is widely accepted as being the most effective.
Furthermore, many people say it’s either not possible to increase penis size, or that some of the methods can be harmful.
Personally, I think that’s a bit of a negative outlook as many guys do successfully increase their size. However, I do agree that there are some products and techniques which should be avoided.
So in this article I’ll be taking a look at all the main approaches to penis enlargement, and assessing how effective and safe they are. Hopefully it will shed some light on the different methods and help you decide what might be right or not for you.
You’ll also discover ways you can feel better about your size, and even make it look bigger to yourself and others. This is a great place to start as you can make a difference to how big your penis looks right away, without having to do much at all.
What’s the average penis size?
Before getting into the ins and outs of penis enlargement, you might find it useful to look at some penis size statistics.
Many guys feel like their penis is too small, but in actual fact they’re totally within the normal range. So let’s take a quick look at two research studies from well respected Universities.
In 2015, researchers at King’s College London University looked at 17 previous studies involving over 15,000 men. This is what they found:
- The average flaccid length is 9.16 cm (3.6 inches)
- The average stretched length is 13.24 cm (5.2 inches)
- The average erect length is 13.12 cm (5.1 inches)
- The average flaccid circumference is 9.31 cm (3.6 inches)
- The average erect circumference is 11.66 cm (4.6 inches)
Of course some men do have shorter or longer penises than others – that 5.1 inches is just the average.
Another study of 1661 men by Indiana University in 2013 found the following:
- The average erect penis size is 14.14 cm (5.6 inches)
- The range of sizes was between 4 cm and 26 cm (1.6 inches to 10.2 inches)
Finally, it’s important to note that in medical terms a penis is only considered to be abnormally small if it measures less than 3 inches when erect.
So before you decide to go ahead with any penis enlargement methods, you may find your penis is actually within the normal range.
What do women think about penis size?
How you feel about your penis size is one thing, but it’s also good to consider what women actually want.
In 2007, researchers in the UK looked at more than 50 research projects spanning 60 years with information about over 50,000 men and found the following:
- 85% of women are satisfied with their partner’s penis size, but only 55% of men were satisfied.
- 90% of women prefer a wide penis to a long one.
In 2015, researchers at the University of California found that women might prefer wider penises only for short-term sexual experiences. However, they prefer their long-term partner to have a more average size penis. They conclude that it’s only the “novelty factor” that might drive interest in larger sizes.
The reality is that women often find that a very large penis can be painful during sex. So in most cases, despite what you might see in porn films for example, most women don’t find a giant 7 inch stallion the best experience.
As they say, it’s not the size of the boat, it’s the motion of the ocean!
How to make your penis appear bigger
There are some simple things you can do to make your penis appear bigger – even in just one day! So I recommend trying the following before any of the enlargement methods discussed below.
- Shave or trim your pubic hair – if you have a lot of pubic hair, it can make your penis look considerably smaller. So if you cut it back, you’ll find your penis looks much bigger.
- Don’t look down – when you look down at your penis, the angle always makes it look smaller. Look at yourself in a mirror instead.
- Don’t compare your downward angle to other guys – if you’re in a shared changing room for example, when you look at yourself and then other guys, you’ll look smaller for the same reason as above. So think how your penis looks in the mirror if you find yourself comparing your size to other guys.
- Measure yourself correctly – if you measure yourself with a ruler, don’t just rest it against the skin – push it into your bone on top of the penis and you’ll find extra length that counts.
- Remember your age – it’s common to worry about your penis size when growing up. Remember though, teenagers develop at different times, so there’s no point comparing yourself to others. And your penis may keep growing until your early twenties, so even if you think yours is small now, it might still grow considerably.
- Don’t compare yourself to porn actors – guys in porn films are chosen for their larger size. They don’t represent what’s considered average, so try not to compare yourself to them.
- Lose weight – if you’re overweight, the extra padding can make your penis appear much smaller.
- Consider counseling – research has shown that in many cases counseling is effective in helping men feel good about their size. So before trying enlargement techniques, it may help to speak to your doctor about how you feel.
How to make your penis bigger
Penis vacuum pumps
Penis vacuum pumps are often used as a treatment for erectile dysfunction as they can be very effective at improving erection strength.
They work by creating a vacuum which then draws blood into the penis, and because of that are also sometimes marketed as helping increase penis size.
The downside is that they are only guaranteed to make the penis bigger for a short while after using them. There’s a lack of scientific research into their effectiveness for increasing size permanently.
Having said that, many guys do say in forums and customer review sites that they’ve had success in increasing their penis size on a lasting basis.
So while there’s no doubt that they can help with erection strength and make your penis look bigger when you use it, it’s not guaranteed to increase your penis size on a permanent basis, though it seems there’s a possibility.
One important safety note worth mentioning is that they can cause tissue damage if used excessively. So if you do decide to try one, make sure you read and follow the safety instructions carefully.
Stretching and jelqing exercises
Stretching and jelqing both involve penis exercises you can do using just your hands to increase your penis size naturally.
Jelqing is similar to stretching, using actions similar to milking a cow to force blood into the penis, slowly expanding the parts which hold the blood. This in theory then leads to penis growth.
As far as I can tell, there again isn’t much scientific evidence proving that these techniques work. However, medical websites like mayoclinic say that stretching and jelqing are at least safer than other methods.
Despite a lack of scientific evidence, there’s a lot of anecdotal evidence from guys – particularly on sexual health and body building forums – saying that the exercises work well.
If you’re interested in trying stretching and jelqing, you might find my reviews of penis enlargement guides helpful.
Pills & supplements
In a similar way to the penis pumps, there are many different pills which are sold online with claims to help with erections and penis size.
The main selling point is usually to help guys with erectile dysfunction or low libido, but a secondary effect can be an apparent increase in size until the pill wears off.
The main problem is that they are only intended to help for short periods of time. So even if you do notice an increase in size, it won’t be permanent.
A second problem is that some pills and supplements have ingredients which can be harmful. The regulation of this industry isn’t very tight, so you often just don’t really know what the pills contain.
And finally, many of them simply don’t work. There’s not much scientific testing done on the various pills available, and what tests are done usually reveal that they don’t have a significant effect on penis size.
In theory, penis stretchers work by exerting traction on your penis and slowly stretching it over time.
There’s not much evidence that they work, but one or two studies have shown modest growth of between 1 cm and 2 cm after several months of regular use.
The main problem is the amount of time you have to use them to see any results – up to 6 months. Add to that the fact that they can be quite expensive, and penis stretchers don’t really measure up as a very efficient approach.
If you’re extremely dedicated, have a lot of time you can spend alone using one, and are happy with the idea of 1 or 2cm growth, it might be worth considering. But you need to know it’s a lot of effort for relatively small gains.
Even though it’s the only medical solution in this article, it’s also the most controversial. There are very few surgeons who offer penis enlargement procedures, and most doctors will do their best to help you understand that it’s unnecessary and very risky.
Generally, surgery to change penis size is reserved for men with birth defects or abnormalities. There’s very little research available about the risks and benefits for men who are considered to have a normal size.
In a 2010 study in Italy, researchers concluded that surgery had a “high risk of complications and unwanted outcomes.”
If this is something you’re thinking about, do speak to your doctor about it though. They can help you understand why it’s not a good option, and provide you with advice about other options to try.
There’s no doubt that many men would like to increase the size of their penis, even though they probably fall under the normal size range.
Unfortunately, there’s no quick and easy way to permanently increase the size of your penis. There are several different approaches to enlargement, but they each come with some risks and no guarantee of success.
It may be then that the best option is to remember that most men do have a normal size, and to be proud of your body.
There are some things you can do to make your penis look bigger, which are relatively easy to do. But if you still don’t feel satisfied, perhaps the best options are either natural stretching exercises or the careful use of a penis pump.