There have been many attempts to work out exactly how many men experience premature ejaculation over the years.
But surveys and research projects always seem to come up with different answers. And with changes to the definition of premature ejaculation in recent years, I don’t think anyone can really be sure of the numbers.
Major organisations like the international society for sexual medicine say it’s up to 30% of men. But what does that mean exactly? What’s the average time men last for, and perhaps more importantly, how long should they last for?
In this article, I’m going to share some interesting examples of large studies and surveys which have tried to pin down those numbers. The results might surprise you!
Surveys about how long men last for during sex
1. In 2005, a study involving 5 countries found that:
- The average time men last during sex is 5.4 minutes.
- 14% of men last under 3.3 minutes.
- 2.5% of men last under 1.3 minutes.
2. In 2006, American researchers announced that the average lasting time for men with premature ejaculation is 1.8 minutes. And that 2.5% of men don’t usually last longer than 1.5 minutes during sex.
3. Going back a long time, in a study in the 1940s in America, three quarters of men said they lasted for under 2 minutes in half of their sexual experiences.
4. In a survey of several thousand British men by netdoctor.com, 10% reported that they sometimes experienced premature ejaculation.
Surveys about satisfaction levels
In 2008, a survey of U.S. and Canadian female sex therapists looked at how long women actually want sex to last for:
- Too short: 1-2 minutes
- Adequate: 3-7 minutes
- Desirable 7-13 minutes
- Too long: 10-30 minutes
A large survey of 1000 people by men’s health magazine in conjunction with NBC found the following statistics:
- 23% of men said they always last long enough.
- 52% of men said they usually last long enough.
- 20% of men said they have difficulties with it, though not always.
- 5% of men said they rarely last as long as they want to.
In the same survey, these are the responses the women gave:
- 38% said their man always lasts long enough.
- 43% said not always, but most of the time.
- 13% said he finds it difficult.
- 6.5% said he rarely last long enough.
Interestingly, in that survey just 22% of women quoted how long the man lasts as their main complaint. Their number one complaint was not enough foreplay.
Interesting points arising from the surveys
You can see from these surveys that premature ejaculation statistics can vary enormously.
Still, there are a few key points which taken together give an insight into the reality of sexual stamina. And more importantly, the reality of how long women want guys to last:
- Many men experience premature ejaculation regularly and many more men at least sometimes.
- The average lasting time for men is just over 5 minutes.
- Many women don’t want sex that goes on for ages. 7-13 minutes is plenty as long as there’s good foreplay and other forms of intimacy happening.
- Women don’t find the length of time the main concern – lack of foreplay is.
What does it mean for you?
These statistics will of course mean different things to different men. You might have what you view as severe premature ejaculation, maybe ejaculating before you even have sex. In which case reaching the 3-7 minute bracket may seem a long way off.
But at the same time, it’s more achievable than the kind of half an hour star performance that many men feel they should be able to achieve.
Or it may be that you can have sex, but struggle to last more than 2-3 minutes. In this case you can have hope that you don’t need to hugely improve how long you last for before you reach the kind of time that’s often considered adequate.
And the actual length of time you need to last for will depend on you and your partner’s wishes. There’s no point thinking you need to be better than the global average to be good in bed.
You only need to last long enough for you and your partner to be happy. Whether that’s 2, 5 ,10 or 20 minutes depends on the particular combination of people that you are. Not on statistics and surveys.
What can help?
If you have difficulty with your sexual stamina, you might find it helpful to read my breakdown of the different premature ejaculation treatment options.
And you might find it helpful to read about how I dealt with premature ejaculation.